Cyndi McLeod, CEO of Global University Systems (GUS) Canada and Chair of University Canada West’s Board of Governors has been shortlisted for the Canada China Business Council’s (CCBC) 5 at 50 Awards.
On Oct. 13, the 50th anniversary of Canada-China diplomatic relations, the CCBC’s 5 at 50 programs will recognize individuals who have helped Canada benefit from its relationship with China. Cyndi is one of 17 finalists in five award categories – Immigrants, Alumni, Entrepreneurs, Women and Relationship Builders.
The CCBC was established 42 years ago and, in the 5 year anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Canada and the People’s Republic of China, the 5 at 50 program aims to celebrate individuals who, through their professional work and personal commitment, are symbols of a deep and broad contribution to the fabric of the relationship.
Over the course of her 25-plus year career, Cyndi has been at the forefront of international initiatives. She has been a leader in the evolution of international education, looking beyond international student recruitment to the internationalization of institutions. She has helped influence the direction of international education policy in Canada and China.
Throughout her career, Cyndi has been involved in various aspects of international education and has held senior leadership roles in the Canadian public education system.
In 2017, she was appointed CEO of GUS Canada where she is responsible for the group’s expansion and operations in the country, which include University Canada West in Vancouver, The Language Gallery Canada, Toronto School of Management, the Trebas Institute and the Canadian College of Technology & Business.
Prior to that, she was Associate Vice-President, International & CEO, Global Operations at Thompson Rivers University (TRU) and prior to that was Executive Director, International.
During her time at TRU, Cyndi was instrumental in advancing the university as a recognized leader in international education and developed a wide array of strategic partnerships, including dual degrees and joint programs with partners in China.
After her time at TRU, Cyndi spent 5 years at Royal Roads University. As Vice President, Global Advancement, Marketing and Business Development she provided leadership to 9 portfolios – Marketing, Recruitment, Business Development, Advancement, Community Relations, External Relations, and International Education – and launched the university’s internationalization strategy.
In 2012, Cyndi received a Chinese Government Scholarship to study at the Beijing Language and Culture University.
Since joining GUS she has utilized her relationships to bring many Chinese delegations to GUS Canada institutions, including Shanghai Publishing and Printing College, and has signed MOUs with the China Vocational Education Association and the South China Business School, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies.
And recently, University Canada West became one of only two private universities in British Columbia to be added to the People’s Republic of China’s Ministry of Education’s list of recognized universities from across the globe.
The full list of award finalists includes:
- Hon. Jack Austin PC, CM, OBC, QC, LLD
- Ronald Ball, Founder & Chairman, EHC Global
- Howard Balloch, Partner, PacBridge Capital Partners
- Jolene Yuk Ling Chan, Director of International Joint Ventures (Asia/Pacific Region), Holland College
- Jennifer Fang, Managing Partner, Highnoon Capital & Consulting Inc.
- GUO Zhonghua, Former Chief Rep, CIBC Beijing
- Ren-Ke LI, Professor, Dept of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Univ. of Toronto
- Barry McInerney, President & CEO, Mackenzie Investments
- Cyndi McLeod, CEO, Global University Systems Canada Inc.
- Joe Ng, Chairman, JNE Group of Companies
- Francis Kin Wa Pang, C.M., Chairman, Beijing Concord College of Sino-Canada
- Mark Rowswell, Dashan
- Ching TIEN, Founder, EGRC
- Spencer Xu, Founder, Chairman, and CEO of SnapPay Inc.
- Grace Yu, President, Elite Alliance Services Inc
- Hua YU, Co-Founder, WeWorkingWomen
- Xuan (Frank) ZHOU, President, Sunrise Group
The awards will be handed out at the CCBC’s upcoming virtual business forum on Oct. 13.Published on Oct. 9, 2020.