English is the language of instruction at University Canada West and all applicants are required to provide proof of their academic English language proficiency through one of the following methods:
- English Language Instruction
- English Language Test
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Program
If you are unable to meet the English-language requirement then you may still be considered for admissions through the University Access Program (UAP).
ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTRUCTION
If you have completed your education in an English-speaking country, then you may be able to provide your transcripts/reports as proof of your academic English-language proficiency.
UCW accepts the following achievements as meeting the requirements for admission (without the requirement to take UAP).
- BC English 12 (or equivalency) taken in Canada with a final grade of ‘C’ (or better).
- Four years of full-time study at a school that is located in a country where English is the language of instruction with a final-year average grade of ‘C’ (or better).
- International Baccalaureate English A1/A2 or English Literature and Performance with a final grade of ‘3’ (or better).
- 3-credit academic English course with a final grade of ‘C’ (or better).
- 30-credits of academic post-secondary studies in a country where English is the language of instruction with a CGPA of 2.00 (or better).
However, the admissions department may request further proof of English-language proficiency from applicants if it is noticed that there are English-language errors in your application.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEST
If you have completed your education in a non-English-speaking country, then you may choose to provide proof of successful completion of a standardized English-language proficiency test.
UCW accepts the following tests with the stated scores as meeting the requirements for direct admission to a degree program (without the requirement to take UAP).
*UCW now accepts IELTS One Skill Retake which allows test takers to sit just one of the four skills (Listening, Reading, Writing, or Speaking) from their IELTS test again.
**The minimum writing score is also applicable to all assessed components of the test.
***May be either of the following three tests; Cambridge B2 First; Cambridge C1 Advanced; or Cambridge C2 Proficiency
****Writing is assessed as the average score for achievement in both Literacy and Production.
However, the Admissions Department may request further proof of English-language proficiency from applicants if the test date is more than two years before the first day of your program start date.
ESL Pathway Program
Alternatively, you may choose to provide a certificate from an ESL pathway program as proof of your academic English-language proficiency.
You can apply for admission to UCW once you have acceptance into an ESL pathway program. You will be approved on the condition that you complete your ESL program before you commence your program at UCW.
UCW has partnerships with the following ESL institutions that offer programs that satisfy requirements for admission (without the requirement to take UAP).