If you have not met the minimum English language requirements for an undergraduate or MBA program entry, you can still improve your English skills and qualify for your degree at University Canada West.
The University Access Program (UAP) accredited by Languages Canada covers everything you need for higher level education in an English-speaking institution. The program focuses on Academic English, ensuring that you will be able to study, and complete assignments and examinations with confidence.
UAP will also cover specific academic skills, such as essay writing, research methods, note taking, critical thinking and seminar or tutorial discussion, giving you a great start to your program at University Canada West.
UAP students have 15 hours per week of class time, all of which helps them build academic English, critical thinking and research skills. Each of the three levels use two dedicated textbooks with supplementary resources. There is ongoing assessment throughout the course with a focus on developing competence in seminar discussion, presentations and essay writing. All the levels have mid-term and final examinations that include assessment of academic reading, writing, listening and speaking.
MBA and MBA Foundation students with sufficient IELTS scores in University Access Course (UAC) 030 and undergraduate students in UAC 030 can take a single quantitative academic course at the same time as their preparatory course.
- MBA students in UAC 030 with IELTS 6.5 overall with 5.5 in the writing band can take ACCT 621
- MBA Foundation students in UAC 030 with IELTS 6.5 overall with 5.5 in the writing band can take MBAF 502
- Undergraduate students in UAC 030 can take MATH 101
You can meet the English proficiency requirements for admission to our degree programs by successfully completing the advanced level of The University Access Program (UAC 030). Programs range from three (3), six (6) and nine (9) months in length.
- Academic IELTS or IELTS Indicator* – 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in the writing band or equivalent for UAC 030 Academic English Preparation (Advanced)
- Academic IELTS or IELTS Indicator* – 5.5 with a minimum of 5.0 in the writing band or equivalent for UAC 020 Academic English Preparation (Upper Intermediate)
- Academic IELTS or IELTS Indicator* – 5.0 with a minimum of 4.5 in the writing band or equivalent for UAC 010 Academic English Preparation (Intermediate)