The Associate of Arts (AA) degree prepares students for life as an educated person and lays a solid foundation for further study.
This two-year, 60-credit (20 courses) undergraduate program is equivalent to the first two years of a four-year degree in the Arts. It prepares students to transfer to research or teaching universities to complete a bachelor’s degree or serves as a credential to enter the labour market. The AA degree is accepted for transfer into bachelor degree programs at University Canada West (UCW) and all British Columbia degree-granting institutions, provided other admission requirements are met.
Graduates of the AA program will develop these skills:
- Workplace problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in teams
- Leadership skills for the workplace
- Communications and soft skills for employability
All University Canada West degree programs are offered on campus and online. UCW is home to students from more than 100 countries around the globe. Communicating with fellow students and sharing experiences can further enhance your learning experience.
Students in the AA degree program are required to demonstrate both written and oral communication skills. These skills will be developed and evaluated through:
- Lectures and class discussions
- Written assignments
- Team tasks
Students must remain in Good Academic Standing to continue their studies at UCW. For full details about Academic Standing, refer to the current Academic Calendar here.
- Canadian High School (Grade 12) diploma or equivalent with an overall average of C or better (2.0 on a 4.33 scale)
- Twenty-one (21) years of age or older and out of high school for at least two years, and
- Documented success through academic, professional or volunteer activities
- For students whose first language is not English, academic IELTS - 6.5 or better with a minimum of 6.0 in the writing band, or equivalent. More information is available in the English Proficiency section of this website.
For students who need to upgrade to meet our English proficiency requirements, UCW offers English pathway courses in our University Access Program.
For full requirements visit our admissions page.
Please note: Meeting the minimum entrance requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
UCW students must fulfil the requirements listed in the Academic Calendar in order to be eligible to graduate. For full details about Graduation Eligibility, refer to the current Academic Calendar here.