English is the language of instruction at University Canada West and all applicants are required to provide proof of their academic English language proficiency through one of the following methods:
- English Language Instruction
- English Language Test
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Program
If you are unable to meet the English-language requirement then you may still be considered for admissions through the University Access Program (UAP).
ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTRUCTION
If you have completed your education in an English-speaking country, then you may be able to provide your transcripts/reports as proof of your academic English-language proficiency.
UCW accepts the following achievements as meeting the requirements for admission (without the requirement to take UAP).
- BC English 12 (or equivalency) taken in Canada with a final grade of ‘C’ (or better).
- Four years of full-time study at a school that is located in a country where English is the language of instruction with a final-year average grade of ‘C’ (or better).
- International Baccalaureate English A1/A2 or English Literature and Performance with a final grade of ‘3’ (or better).
- 3-credit academic English course with a final grade of ‘C’ (or better).
- 30-credits of academic post-secondary studies in a country where English is the language of instruction with a CGPA of 2.00 (or better).
However, the admissions department may request further proof of English-language proficiency from applicants if it is noticed that there are English-language errors in your application.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEST
If you have completed your education in a non-English-speaking country, then you may be choose to provide proof of successful completion of a standardized English-language proficiency test.
UCW accepts the following tests with the stated scores as meeting the requirements for direct admission to a degree program (without the requirement to take UAP).
|TEST||MINIMUM OVERALL SCORE||MINIMUM WRITING SCORE|
|IELTS - Academic||6.5||6.0|
|IELTS - Indicator||6.5||6.0|
|PTE - Academic||61||60|
|TOEFL - iBT||88||20*|
*The minimum writing score is also applicable to all assessed components of the test.
**May be either of the following three tests; Cambridge B2 First; Cambridge C1 Advanced; or Cambridge C2 Proficiency.
However, the Admissions Department may request further proof of English-language proficiency from applicants if the test date is more than two years before the first day of your program start date.
Alternatively, you may be choose to provide a certificate from an ESL program as proof of your academic English-language proficiency.
You can apply for admission to UCW once you have acceptance into an ESL pathway program. You will be approved on the condition that you complete your ESL program before you commence your program at UCW.
UCW has partnerships with the following ESL institutions that offer programs that satisfy requirements for admission (without the requirement to take UAP).
- DEA Canadian College
- EC Canada
- ELS Language Centers
- ILAC: Academy and International College
- International Gateway Kelowna (IGK)
- iTTTi Vancouver
- Kaplan International Languages
- Oxford International Education Group (DBA Eurocentres Canada)
- Royal Bridge College
- Sprott Shaw Language College
- St George International College (SGIC)
- Tamwood International College
- The Language Gallery (TLG)
- VGC International College
- Western Town College
However, the Admissions Department may request further proof of English-language proficiency from applicants if the completion date for the ESL program will be more than two years before the first day of your program start date.
The Language Gallery, a preferred language partner for University Canada West, is launching an online English training program called TLG Live.
The online English training program includes their University Pathway Program (UPP) so successful students don’t need to take an Academic IELTS or TOFL exam for admission. The program is designed to prepare students for their academic studies at a Canadian college or university.
Students will need to complete UPP level 6 with a minimum of 80% in course work in order to qualify for direct entry into UCW’s degree programs.
New intakes will start every two weeks and free arrival tests are available for new students. The price is only $99 per week.