As an international traveler, you must fulfill several requirements before your departure and after your arrival in Canada.
Prior to travelling to Canada, you must prepare a credible 14-day isolation/quarantine plan that demonstrates that you have a suitable place to isolate or quarantine, with access to necessities including food and medication.
You are also required to test negative for COVID-19 within the 72 hours before travelling and provide documentation of your negative laboratory test result to the airline prior to boarding a flight to Canada.
All air travellers arriving in Canada will be required to reserve a room at a Government of Canada-approved hotel for three nights at their own cost and take a COVID-19 molecular polymerase chain reaction (or PCR) test upon arrival, also at their own cost.
Travellers who test negative will be able to continue to their planned place of quarantine. Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 will be relocated to a designated quarantine facility, or other suitable place of quarantine.
If you do not have an adequate self-isolation plan, you will be directed to government-managed accommodation where you can safely complete your 14-day self-isolation.
For more information, visit:
- Self-isolation on return to BC (Government of British Columbia)
- Self-isolation and self-monitoring (BCCDC)
- Dos and don’ts of self-isolation (BCCDC)
Travellers are also required to check-in the day after arriving in Canada and to report symptoms daily, either by phone or through the ArriveCAN app.
Click here for more information about the mandatory hotel stay, including a list of approved hotels.
Please note, the hotel can only be booked over the phone. To book your mandatory three-night hotel stay, call:
- 1-800-294-8253 (toll-free within North America)
- 1-613-830-2992 (collect outside of North America)
Accommodation resources for UCW students*
If you don’t already have somewhere where you can self-isolate, the list of Vancouver hotels on this page offers special rates for UCW students. However, to get these rates, you must book these hotels directly through the hotel websites as listed below.
Students booking their isolation accommodations through Hotels.com may be eligible for a hotel voucher to help cover some of the cost of their hotel stay. The University is providing eligible students self-isolating in a hotel booked through Hotels.com with a $650 voucher.
The hotel vouchers are valid for eligible new students who started/are starting their UCW program in the Winter 2021 Term, Spring 2021 Term, Summer 2021 Term or Fall 2021 Term. Deadlines for applying for the voucher for each term start are listed on the application form. Terms and conditions may apply.
Download the Hotel Voucher Application here.
- All prices are subject to tax.
- These hotels include free Wi-Fi. Every hotel except the Ramada Limited includes a mini-fridge at no extra charge.
- If you’re self-isolating, hotels will require you to stay in your room. Hotel staff, including housekeeping, won’t be allowed to enter your room.
Any questions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, this list of hotels is different than the list of government-approved hotels for your mandatory three-day hotel stay. Click here for more information about the mandatory hotel stay, including a list of approved hotels.
- GEC (two locations)
- Ramada Limited Vancouver Downtown
- Executive Hotel
- Le Soleil
- Blue Horizon Hotel
- Coast Coal Harbour
- Sheraton Vancouver Airport
- Hilton Vancouver Airport
- Marriot Vancouver Airport
- Executive Hotel Vancouver Airport
- Executive Suites Hotel Metro Vancouver
- Executive Hotel Vintage Park
- Executive Plaza Hotel Metro Vancouver
- Sandman Vancouver Airport Hotel
- Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre
- Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre Hotel
- The Westin Wall Centre, Vancouver Airport
- The YWCA Hotel
Local food and grocery delivery services*
There are many websites and apps available to order food and groceries in Vancouver. Here are just a few:
* Use of these links to websites for facilities offering local accommodation linked to, and from this site, are operated by organizations outside of UCW (“external service providers”). These links are being provided solely for your convenience and for informational purposes only. While we have attempted to provide links to reputable external service providers of accommodation for the covid-19 quarantine period, provision of these links does not constitute an endorsement or an approval by UCW of any of the accommodation or services provided by these external service providers. UCW, its employees, servants, agents, successors, administrators, assigns, and contractors do not assume and are not responsible for any injury, loss, damage or any liability whatsoever for the student’s use of these linked websites or the accommodation and related services provided by these external service providers.
What to do if you’re feeling sick
While you’re self-isolating, you should be watching out for symptoms of COVID-19. These include:
- sore throat
- shortness of breath
If you have symptoms, you should get tested for COVID-19 by a healthcare provider or at a local collection centre. HealthLink BC recommends testing for anyone with cold or flu symptoms.
If you don’t have symptoms, you don’t need to be tested. If you are unsure if you should get tested, use this online assessment tool or call HealthLink BC at 8-1-1.
If you develop symptoms, you must continue to self-isolate for at least 10 days from when your symptoms started or 14 days from when you started self-isolation, whichever is longer.
For more information, visit: