Introduction to the Bachelor of Commerce (BCom)
The Bachelor of Commerce at University Canada West is a four-year program that provides students with in-depth knowledge on modern businesses and their practices. Earning this degree helps students establish their careers in business or management, eventually contributing to the global economy. Upon completion of the BCom degree, students will be able to do the following:
- Conduct their businesses in a multicultural environment across the world.
- Use a combination of approaches to solve business issues and help create variety of business opportunities.
- Employ critical thinking to assess and infer information to aid the decision-making process.
Across this four-year program, students will study the following modules:
- Introduction to Business
- Accounting Principles
- Academic Writing
- Business Environment
- Information Systems for Managers
- Communications Theory
- Marketing Management
- Organizational Behaviour
- Managerial Accounting
- Business Law
- Strategy and Decision-Making
Career options after a BCom degree
Earning a BCom degree opens a variety of opportunities for students in terms of lucrative career options. These include:
- Accountant: This is a popular career option for BCom graduates as they usually have in-depth knowledge of accounting systems, journal entries, finalization of annual accounts, accounting methods, balance sheets, etc. While working as accountants, they are also responsible for preparing, updating and assessing the internal accounting policies and control processes. At times, they may also be responsible for carrying out audits in the organization. In order to work as accountants, graduated must possess knowledge related to financial accounting, tax accounting, management accounting, cost accounting, record keeping, reporting, financial statements and the generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). In order to progress in this career, students may even take up an accounting qualification like CA, CPA and ACCA. The average annual entry-level salary for graduates in this field is $47,200.
- Financial Analyst: Financial analysts are responsible for studying demographics, market trends and microeconomics factors that help organizations in making smart investments. They also provide organizations with advice regarding splitting stock, issuing their own bonds and related areas of concern. An important role for financial analysts is to analyze and understand how organizations have invested their resources and whether the investments are financially feasible. They also need to understand how these investments and future financial decisions will affect the short-term and long-term growth of the organization. Financial analysts also have to appraise the current financial position of an organization and make recommendations to the board about it. Apart from these responsibilities, they have to prepare weekly, monthly and annual financial forecasts as well. The entry-level salary for this job role is $50,267.
- Business Manager: BCom graduates are sought by organizations to become business managers. They are responsible for ensuring that the departments in an organization are running efficiently and smoothly and that no issues are taking place between various departments. An important part of their job description is to create and implement tasks and plans, giving work to employees, ensuring work is carried out without any issues and preparing and presenting reports to the higher management. Apart from this, they also have to ensure that the organizational expenses do not exceed the operational budget. The entry-level salary for business managers in Vancouver is $55,122.
- Marketing Specialist: Marketing specialists help organizations in advertising their products and services. They may design campaigns for a particular product or service as well as working within a specific area for a large marketing campaign. A key aspect of their role is to determine how exactly to market a product, which media is best to reach the audience and how to complete the campaign while staying under the predetermined budget. They are also responsible for creating marketing content for campaigns such as television and radio commercials, billboards and advertisements. The average annual entry-level salary for this job role is $53,197.
- Research Analyst: Research analysts are responsible for researching, assessing, inferring and presenting data related to the field in which they work in, such as operations, economics, accounting and market research. People working in this job role are required to possess quantitative, analytical, logical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills. A critical aspect of their role is to carry out quantitative and qualitative research as per the demands of the organization and execute statistical analysis as and when required. People who are working as research analysts in Vancouver can earn $51,300 at the entry-level.
If you are interested in these career opportunities, then you should consider opting for the Bachelor of Commerce degree offered at University Canada West. The program is designed in such a way to help students learn efficiently and obtain skills that prepare them for successful careers.
Updated on Dec. 18, 2020.